|« Oct||Dec »|
Exercise: Tweet from your phone all the conversations you hear from the backseat of your car. (Thank you for this tip, Sara Donovan-Boster.) You can even record conversations at the dinner table, while watching TV, or while watching the stars with friends or family. Record the conversations on your phone, on paper, on a tape recorder, etc.
Goal: When you record the conversations while they are taking place, you are already providing the perfect content for a great story. Put these recorded conversations or even just excerpts in a family yearbook, on a poster, or in a card.
Using canning jar lids and a fun template in the Heritage Makers Template Gallery, you can make beautiful, handcrafted ornaments for your Christmas tree. And, because the ornaments are made with your family’s photos, your tree will become that much more personal this holiday season.
To make your own Christmas tree ornaments, follow these simple steps.
- Ornament-craft template (12×12 scrap page) designed by Amy Crane. Template ID: 20988
- Wide-mouth canning jar lids
- Mod Podge
- Foam brush
- Glitter glue (any color)
- Hot glue
- Ribbon (any color)
Begin crafting your ornaments:
- Using the Ornament-craft template from the Template Gallery, design the pictures for your ornaments.
- To maintain the required measurements, keep the papers behind the photos and the photos locked in place. Then just drag and drop the papers and photos you want over the area (the paper or photo you want to replace must be selected before you drag another paper or photo on to replace it.)
- Then just delete embellishments you don’t want and design the ornaments to fit your style.
- Publish your project. When your Heritage Makers project to arrives, you can continue with the next steps.
- Cut out each of the circle photos.
- Using a foam brush, spread Mod Podge over the outside (or top) of the canning jar lid.
- Place your photo circle over the glue.
- Spread more Mod Podge over the top of the photo.
- Let dry. (Takes about 1 -2 hours)
- Using a hot glue gun, glue the ribbon on the back of the lid so that both sides attach to the lid, making a loop for hanging.
- Let dry (Takes about 2 minutes)
- Decorate the lid with glitter glue. You can use one color or many. Just squirt the glitter glue where you want it. You might want to cover the entire back and the edge of the front. Make sure that if you use glitter on both sides that you let one side dry before continuing with the other.
- Let the glitter dry. (Takes about 1 – 2 hours for each side)
- Hang ornaments in the perfect place on you Christmas tree.
May you enjoy the turkey, the mashed potatoes, and pie. But most of all, enjoy the time you have with family and friends. This is a great time to make memories, strengthen your relationships, and show your thanks.
We all have so much to be thankful for all year round. Here are just a few things we’re thankful for at the home office.
- Our wonderful, hard working consultants
- Studio 3.0
- Our new 20×20 canvas, board book, swatch book, and other new products
- Story time, whether as a bedtime story or as a break during the day
- Our growing Template Gallery
- Our awesome Client Services team
- And so much more…
Now, please enjoy this card made special just for you.
Exercise: Interview someone over the phone, in person, or by mail. Just come up with interview questions—you can find some good examples in the Story Maps section of My Studio—and get started with the interview.
Goal: Once you have interview answers, you can organize them and create a great story your kids, grandkids, and so on will enjoy reading for a long time. (Also, you can get the interview answers written in the interviewee’s own handwriting and just scan the paper into the computer and preserve the handwriting right within a book. Thank you Beth Turner for this suggestion.)
Exercise: Think of an event where lots of people were present. For 15 minutes or more, write down reactions you think others would give of the event.
Example: Annual family Christmas party – Me: The basement where we have our Christmas party gets pretty crowded, but that just means there are lots of people to greet and laugh with. Grandpa: My favorite part about the Christmas party is seeing the little ones’ faces as they receive one of my Christmas gifts. Mom: I’m just lucky to find a place to sit and eat my food. Aunt Kathy: I wish I could get more people to turn around and smile as I take these pictures.
Goal: Thinking of the story from multiple perspectives puts a new spin on the experience. Once you have ‘pretend’ quotes from each family member, you can create a fun story. Example: Each annual Christmas party is crowded, with aunts trying to take pictures of every incident, cousins playing games in the small corners of the room, and Grandpa telling crazy stories to little ones as they receive their Christmas gifts.
Exercise: Grab a photo, any photo. This can be a picture of you at the beach. It can be of a hike you took at
Now, for 15 minutes, write everything you can about his photo: who’s in it, where does the picture take place, what smells do you remember from when this photo was taken, why did you take the photo, etc.
Goal: Get yourself thinking about the storybooking process. Storybooking is not only about preserving photos, it’s about preserving the whole memory. And without the words, the pictures don’t mean anything to the reader.
See a this example of story and words combined. http://bit.ly/1dKk7Q
Looking for fun…and quick…holiday gifts? Check out 10 Heritage Makers projects that you can create in just 10 minutes (or less). We’ve put together some of our favorite gifts and templates to show you ways to stuff all the stockings this year.
- Set of Holiday Tiles Time = 1 minute
Holiday tiles are such a fun and simple gift! Go to the Heritage Makers template gallery, search for 12×12 pages, and you’ll find an abundance of fabulous designs. Simply load one of the “tile” templates into Studio, save, and print. It’s that easy.
After you print your 12×12 scrap page, trim to fit a 6×6 tile, mod podge in place, and you’re done. If you want, you can even tie a ribbon around the tiles for a fun gift. Give one tile or a set of 4!
To see a preview of the tiles, go here.
- Greeting Cards Time = 5 minutes
No kidding, you can make your greeting cards this year in only 5 minutes! Send a beautiful, customized greeting card AND let Heritage Makers ship it for you. Simply select “direct ship” and we’ll take care of the rest.
Want to see a beautiful card made with a FREE Basic account? Click here.
- Gallery-wrapped Canvas Time = 4 minutes
Create a gorgeous gallery-wrapped canvas. Canvases, in three different sizes, look great on every wall on your home.
This beautiful 20×20 canvas was made with a FREE Basic account? See it here.
- Deck of Playing Cards Time = 10 minutes
When you use page manager in Studio, a fun family game can be made in just 10 minutes! You’ll spend a lot of time with your family from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day…why not make that time fun with a unique game! Try Go Fish, “Scum,” or a unique family trivia game.
Here’s a fun “Go Fish” game for a child. Check it out here.
5. Family Fold Time = 5 minute
Another 5-minute greeting card, with a twist! This 3-panel family fold makes for a fun and unique greeting card that can be displaying on a desk, in a bedroom, or hanging on the wall.
Check out the family fold here.
6. Joy Journal Time = 2 minutes
Don’t believe you can make a journal in just 2 minutes? It’s entirely possible with this darling joy journal template. Take time everyday to remember the joy and happiness in life. Sounds like a great New Year’s resolution!
See the joy journal here.
7. 11 x 16 calendar Time = 10 minutes
Try out the new Heritage Makers calendar size. Keep track of your family dates, birthdays, and special occasions. Talk about a great gift for grandma and Aunt Sue!
See the family calendar here.
8. 12×12 scrap page Time = 3 minutes
Share your Hanukkah traditions with this scrap page dedicated to the Festival of Lights. This scrap page makes for a wonderful addition to your holiday décor, or can be saved for the scrap book later on. Add your family photos for more personalization.
To see the Festival of Lights scrap page, go here.
9. Clock Time = 4 minutes
Never be late again with this creative clock. This project is a simple twist on the traditional 12×12 scrap page. All you need is a clock face, this darling template, and you’re done!
See the clock here.
10. 6-photo Bracelet Time = 5 minutes
Take your loved with you everywhere you go with a stylish 6-photo bracelet. Time from start to finish? 5 minutes! The 6-photo bracelet makes a fabulous holiday gift.
Check out the bracelet here.
11. History Hero DVDs Time = 0 minutes
Bonus gift for you! All you have to do to add these History Heroes to your family is simply order. You have a choice of Collection A or Collection B. You don’t have to hit the publish button to get in on this awesome product.
Talk to a consultant to order.
To see more fabulous templates, check out the Heritage Makers template gallery.
Now you’ve got all of your Heritage Makers gifts under control…without sacrificing your time! Take a few minutes to browse the Heritage Makers template gallery to find fantastic gifts for all of your holidays!
Thank you to all our veterans and troops. Over many decades you have kept us safe. Thank you for being brave. For preserving our freedom. For demonstrating what true honor is. For everything.
Here’s a special card to show our appreciation.
Heritage Makers is having a Facebook drawing and all our fans are invited to participate. For you consultants this is a great way to generate more leads and show others what Heritage Makers is all about. All you have to do is tell your friends and clients all about the drawing and tell them they need to become a fan of Heritage Makers to enter to win.
Here’s how it works.
- If you’re not already a fan of Heritage Makers on Facebook, become one by following this link http://bit.ly/4mwI9e.
- Copy the paragraph and picture below.
- Create a Note on Facebook and paste the paragraph and picture.
- Post the Note on your profile page so others can see it.
- Tell guests at workshops and other events about the drawing.
- They have between now and November 29 to become a fan.
- We will announce the winner for a FREE 20 x 20 canvas credit on Cyber Monday (November 30) through the Heritage Makers fan page.
Copy the following and post it on your profile, your blog, wherever.
Enter to win a FREE Heritage Makes 20 x 20 canvas credit just by becoming a fan of Heritage Makers. By becoming a fan between now and November 29, 2009, you automatically enter the drawing to receive this great addition to your home décor. On Cyber Monday (November 30), we’ll post the winner on our fan page. Don’t miss this chance. Become a fan today by following this link http://bit.ly/4mwI9e!