Using canning jar lids and a fun template in the Heritage Makers Template Gallery, you can make beautiful, handcrafted ornaments for your Christmas tree. And, because the ornaments are made with your family’s photos, your tree will become that much more personal this holiday season.
To make your own Christmas tree ornaments, follow these simple steps.
- Ornament-craft template (12×12 scrap page) designed by Amy Crane. Template ID: 20988
- Wide-mouth canning jar lids
- Mod Podge
- Foam brush
- Glitter glue (any color)
- Hot glue
- Ribbon (any color)
Begin crafting your ornaments:
- Using the Ornament-craft template from the Template Gallery, design the pictures for your ornaments.
- To maintain the required measurements, keep the papers behind the photos and the photos locked in place. Then just drag and drop the papers and photos you want over the area (the paper or photo you want to replace must be selected before you drag another paper or photo on to replace it.)
- Then just delete embellishments you don’t want and design the ornaments to fit your style.
- Publish your project. When your Heritage Makers project to arrives, you can continue with the next steps.
- Cut out each of the circle photos.
- Using a foam brush, spread Mod Podge over the outside (or top) of the canning jar lid.
- Place your photo circle over the glue.
- Spread more Mod Podge over the top of the photo.
- Let dry. (Takes about 1 -2 hours)
- Using a hot glue gun, glue the ribbon on the back of the lid so that both sides attach to the lid, making a loop for hanging.
- Let dry (Takes about 2 minutes)
- Decorate the lid with glitter glue. You can use one color or many. Just squirt the glitter glue where you want it. You might want to cover the entire back and the edge of the front. Make sure that if you use glitter on both sides that you let one side dry before continuing with the other.
- Let the glitter dry. (Takes about 1 – 2 hours for each side)
- Hang ornaments in the perfect place on you Christmas tree.